Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pumpkin Bread Pudding



Winter is coming ... actually it's basically here. We got 2 days of snow and slush already in Baltimore, which means fall (aka pumpkin season) is over. Luckily, I stocked up on canned pumpkin early in the season, so I have plenty to last me throughout the year! And what better day to try a new baking recipe than a snow day?

I originally planned to make a French toast bake, but realized I didn't have enough eggs. I watch Chopped on Food Network all the time and they're always making French toast or bread pudding for dessert, so I figured I could tweak the recipe to make bread pudding instead! I think the bread loaf I used was a little on the small side, so it ended up having to stay in the oven longer to make it less mushy. Once it was done though, it was delicious! You can eat it plain or topped with maple syrup or some sort of glaze (I enjoyed it plain).

Ingredients:
1 loaf of whole wheat bread, diced into 1" cubes
1 can of pumpkin puree (15 oz)
4 eggs
2 cups milk ( I used Silk's pumpkin spice soy milk, whaaaat)
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp pumpkin spice blend, divided

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a baking or casserole dish and fill with diced bread.



2. Combine last 5 ingredients and 1 tsp of pumpkin spice in a mixing bowl. Whisk together until smooth.

3. Pour pumpkin mixture over bread and gently mix with a spatula to evenly distribute. Top with the remaining teaspoon of pumpkin spice.


4. Bake for 45 minutes or until brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.


No comments:

Post a Comment